Saturday 24 July 2010

finished 'the idiocy of idears' this morning. although I nearly gave up on this book somewhere just beyond the middle (when the negativity became almost unbearable) I'm glad I didn't because towards the end (especially when he goes on holiday to greece with his family) there are many wonderful passages.
The effect of the book upon me today is a little strange.
the anglo-saxon thing again (perhaps to do with its later domination by the normans?)
chelmsford hall.
failure.
the underworld as a place where you are to be found.
underdogs.
agnar. hoby. george.

Aware suddenly of how cramping this blog is: simply because of a possible audience ( even though I know there isn't a real one, and I try to write with that in mind). Even so . . . .

Aware too of the way in which you pull the rug from under my feet and how I must learn to see this as stepping stone rather than block.
It's been a disappointing week in several different ways but it's important this doesnt disrupt my prayer [even though it already is today] . . . . and the fact that I think it will do that shows, I suppose, how little I have understood anything important. I cling to the knowledge (partial though it may be) that it is at times when you seem so absent that you are actually most present. In other words, when I think I understand then I understand the least. When I know how little I understand then, perhaps, we are getting somewhere. . . . . .

subversiveness, humour and irony: aspects of you.
(isn't rowan williams hinting at this in 'silence and honeycakes'?)

paul lewis playing beethoven 4th concerto last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment