Thursday 11 March 2010

the artificiality of identifying God as 'father' and 'son'.
obviously we can only use the words that can be understood by all
but who knows how wide the gulf between crude representation of truth and the very truth itself might be?

More urgently, how many people who yearn for the very truth are distracted by the limitations of language?

Scripture draws from the same intuitive well as art and poetry. For those born in an age of science this creates an added hurdle.

'Christianspeak' was always a barrier to me because it answered questions that I had not asked whilst the questions that I was really asking it couldn't answer.

It was only through the psalms that I could really find you. The psalmist asks the questions I was really asking and we learned together, gently, that there were to be no answers; at least, not the ones I was anticipating or hoping for. Over the years it has dawned on me(slowly) that the psalmist with whom I sang was actually you yourself all along. (Emmanuel)

It was ultimately the questions themselves which shone with the sustaining light.

No comments:

Post a Comment