Monday 26 October 2009

three things

1] you are my music.
you are the ground on which any music of mine stands:
without you there can be no music.
this is a relationship I cannot 'understand'
but nor do I need to.

2] I mustn't be afraid when the psalms disintegrate before my eyes.
it's only old perceptions that shatter. . . . .
always, always I cling to what seems true
taking refuge in yesterday
yesterday's comprehension does not do for today.
understanding is not a collectible.

3] this thing about language:
I have to let it go because, intellectually,
it will remain forever beyond my grasp.

it remains a problem but not one that I can solve by staring at it.

and this is so with the music also.
the music is not about the music.
the music is about you.
it seems essential that I understand that
somewhere deeper than I can presently reach.
I suppose its the essential secret ingredient
without which all music turns into noise.

sometimes I 'have' it.
oftentimes I do not.

'let him who has ears to hear

No comments:

Post a Comment