Friday 23 October 2009

something broke.
shattered to pieces.
what it was I cannot tell.
but psalms and music broke together
and left me with nothing:
no handle at all
no way forward.
and yet
yesterday a glimmer.
today another.

so life goes on
and I still have an unexpected place in it.

just one speculative thought:
my imagery is wrong.
the psalms are not a boat
in which I sail to God.

or rather,
because I have rather treated them as one
(along with my music?)
when I am driven on the rocks
I fear death by drowning
only to find that,
though wet and dumb,
I didn't drown at all:
just capsized for a while.
you hold me up?
(notice the hesitant question mark)

perhaps the music broke the psalms
and the psalms broke the music.
one language destroying another
like warring tribes of old.

noticing the glib post of 16th oct,
such philosophies of 'building'
can never work for me:
part of my present mess.

'the psalms tell me' what the psalms tell me:
nothing more, nothing less

No comments:

Post a Comment