Wednesday 30 September 2009

rowan williams

a little book I found in the library called grace and necessity 2005.
though intellectual it is both beautifully 'grounded' (lots of examples) and understandable.
before I take it back I need to read it again:
it really inspires and I don't want to miss any vital clues
page 5 . . .'whether there is an unavoidably theological element to all artistic labour.'
page 14 'What he (maritain) is clear about is that the production of beauty cannot be a goal for the artist. If the artist sets out to please, he will compromise the good of the thing made.'
I fully understand the first sentence but the second is problematic.
but on the same page:
'maritain notes that contemporary art is confused about beauty: either there is a cult of the beautiful for its own sake . . or there is a replacement of beauty by an appeal to a work's fidelity to the artist's subjective integrity - personal honesty doing duty for 'formal splendour' (aquinas' "splendor formae")

[for me, though, the one thing probably leads to the other making me guilty on both counts]


No comments:

Post a Comment