Thursday 27 August 2009

certainty and doubt

of one thing I am certain:
that you are god.
but of my place in you
I am rather more doubtful.

I am puzzled by this:
is this a false faith?
to be certain of you
but not certain of me?

the psalmist says:
I am on the brink of the grave.
and that is how it feels:
teetering permanently on the edge of self-destruction;
never quite convinced
in my heart of hearts
that it matters enough.

is it possible then to have faith and no love?
I suppose love involves a sense of personal worth
and there are times when I simply do not have this.

this, then, is my main enemy: self-doubt.
but I also realise that it is an enemy that I cannot fight alone
from the inside as it were.
because I am a prisoner of it
and only you can free me.

No comments:

Post a Comment