Tuesday 2 December 2008

the music the music

[though there is still hope of recovery,
I must face the possibility of more permanent damage.]


assailed by constant doubt and clouds of despair,
any vestige of confidence devouring itself.
I have been swept helpless by the currents.

'fly like a bird to its mountain'

the bow of a ship;
the head of an arrow:
point towards their target.
but my prayer has been blunt and aimless.

the music, the music! you say
but for weeks I have not understood
confused imaginings leading me astray.
what does it mean? I wail.

could it be that the music sharpens my prayer?
[can there be dance without it?]
'the ten-stringed lyre' you whispered
over and over.
but like a fool, I thought you meant 'silence'.
the ten-stringed lyre is a musical instrument!
why would it mean silence?

but let not the music be for an uncertain tomorrow.
play the ten-stringed lyre today
and you will dance lightly again: stone to stone.

you pin me down
and I am lifted.

I have a place

No comments:

Post a Comment