Saturday 16 October 2010

saturday vigils. 
yes,  but the silence remains just that: a silence.
the sense of you're not being in it is overwhelming.
first, I have to convert this room, this house, this landscape . . . 
that's how it seems.

an act of faith.
remembering what rw says about 'unholy places that have no hint of you'.
in the past I believed these rumours.
now I know that they are my perception only - whatever may be the underlying cause -
I was thinking again how essential, fundamental, overwhelmingly important is that single psalm -
(I've said it before, I'll say it again)
how many are my foes O Lord!  . . . .
everything speaks your absence, your separation, your irrelevance.
these voices cannot be listened to because they lie.
they say seemingly obvious things which yet have not a grain of truth in them.
and when the psalm ends, despite the fact that I still hear you in the words - some of the time at least - the silence which overwhelms me is an emptiness which chills me to the core.
And so I see that this leads to the need for an act of faith which is almost desperate: 
I hear nothing, 
I see nothing,
I know nothing,
I understand nothing, 
I hope for nothing,
I  rejoice in nothing,
I perceive only emptiness and futility,
and yet I will trust in you. 
I will trust in you.
knowing also, even as I write that, that I could not say even that were you not enabling me.

the psalms become my only sight. 
without them: blindness.
a blindness beyond blindness actually . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment