Tuesday 27 April 2010

my visit to the cswg made me aware of my anglican roots
I read William of Glasshampton the anglican cistercian.

This all relates rather remarkably with the history of Wales and also with the rather cynical history of Celtic Christianity (more spin than truth?) that I have been reading.
This also made me suddenly aware of the way in which the Catholic Church has more or less been parachuted into modern British history out of the Roman colleges.  
My initial reaction at this realisation was surprise.

What was it about Roman Catholicism that so attracted me? Was it, above all, loyalty to Father Edward and Worth? 
I owe them both a great deal. 
But something much more fundamental too. How can there ever be more than one church? and also, how can a national church be compatible with the gospel? 
So I would still have to convert - even now.
WIliliam of Glasshampton was surely inspired by our Anglo-Saxon heritage of Cuthbert and Bede. As am I.
I've said it before, Henry VIII has a great deal to answer for.

No comments:

Post a Comment